[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Wrong guy

Same name...different guy.
Just thought you might want to know.

Brian,

Much thanks for your update.  I'll update the FAQ right now so as to
spread the misery around.  It was indeed fun to execute DOS commands
on O'Reilly's server.

I'm also Cc:'ing this to the Web managers and security lists so that
they are apprised of the hole in the Website and Netscape servers.

I don't have access to the Netscape Commerce Server.  Am I right in
thinking that this problem plagues that software as well?

Thanks,

Lincoln

Brian Kendig writes:
 > The serious Netscape security hole which is described in the WWW Security
 > FAQ ("http://www-genome.wi.mit.edu/WWW/faqs/www-security-faq.htm") also
 > exists in the O'Reilly Website web server.
 >
 > Here is a description of the security hole, from the FAQ:
 >
 > >Redfern Ian redferni@logica.com) has discovered that a similar hole
exists in
 > >the processing of CGI scripts implemented as .bat files. The following
is
an